Sunday, May 2, 2010

It begins today...

The first step in our adventure begins today. Dustin is currently on his way to Paris to see his new office building, meet coworkers, and learn about his new position. I get to go meet him in Paris next weekend and spend a few days exploring. I've never been to Paris, so I am a little bit anxious about seeing this place that I will call home for a few years. Will the French really be rude like everyone says? What will the grocery store be like? Will I be able to figure out how to send something at the post office? What is the health care like? Will I be able to find doctors who speak English? How much will Rosetta Stone really get me ready for conversation? Will we be able to afford a decent size apartment? What on earth am I going to do with so much free time? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Despite all of my questions, I am really excited about this new chapter in our lives. Dustin has always wanted to work outside of the United States, so I am thrilled that he is going to have that opportunity. We can't wait to start travelling all over Europe together. It is sure to be an adventure!

Our current status on the move: The immigration process has started. At this point, we are planning on moving out of Michigan at the end of June. Then, we will spend several days in Indy and several days in Northern Kentucky. Our goal is to move to Paris at the end of July (but that all depends on our paperwork going through).

I plan to use this blog to keep our family and friends in the loop - and to share the fun/exciting/crazy things that happen to us along the way! Look for my next post after I get home from my first visit to Paris. Maybe some of my questions will be answered!

Au revoir!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea, Jody! I'm so excited & happy for you and Dustin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting adventure for you and Dustin! I can't wait to hear all about it and will start saving up and hopefully will get to take a trip to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you. Love the blog. Love Paris. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blog! You have a great attitude about this adventure. You and Dustin will make so many special memories to look back on later in life. I've never been to Paris but I am excited to see it vicariously through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jody! I am so excited to keep up with you on your blog. You will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an adventure! Are you going to be able to teach in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous!!! You will have SO MUCH FUN! I am happy to chat with you in French whenever you want, although I am only good to help while you are a beginner...my French is so rusty, but don't worry about the language barrier. Most French people know English even if they sort of pretend not to (they want to see you make an effort and then they're lovely and very helpful.) The French are very nice as long as you are a polite American, so you will be fine. Make sure to take a trip to Giverny, Monet's house just outside Paris. That was my favorite Parisian adventure when Nathan and I went in college....and drink lots of yummy lemon Fanta and eat some Nutella slathered crepes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard about the pigeons there! They are a huge problem!! They have teams that go out to rid the city of pigeons! It's crazy! Enjoy Paris!

    ReplyDelete