Friday, December 10, 2010

The Oldest Christmas Market in France

Strasbourg is one of the most popular Christmas destinations in Europe.  It is literally dripping with Christmas cheer!  Fortunately, it is only 2 hours by train from Paris, so I got to go for the day with my friend Megan.  Although it was FREEZING, we had a wonderful time soaking up the Christmas spirit. 

The town has an absolutely incredible cathedral.  All around it, there was a Christmas market selling decorations, food, and vin chaud (hot wine - just like gleuwein in Germany, but this time called by its French name!).






I loved all of the "musical" Santas that could be found all over the city.  At one point, Megan and I heard a band of Santas playing "Surfin' USA".  We thought it was an odd choice, but enjoyed it nonetheless. 



Strasbourg is very quaint and has a bit of a German feel to it (it is right on the border of Germany, and has actually been part of Germany in the past).  I loved looking at all of the houses!






There wasn't an inch of the city that wasn't covered in Christmas decorations!  And they got even better at night!










The most exciting part of the day was that I finally found the perfect Christmas Pyramid!  I had looked for one at several different Christmas markets throughout Germany and France.  It looks great in our apartment!



5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! So beautiful. I love the picture of the Santas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat, Jody! What gorgeous pictures, definitely a German look! Can't wait to see you over Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was justing telling my mom I wanted one of those!!!
    Becky K

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you were walking around a postcard! Everything looks perfectly snow kissed and wonderful. I seriously have to try this wine you speak of, I feel like I am missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this makes me want to visit Europe again so bad! you can definitely tell there are German roots in this town! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete