Monday, December 12, 2011

Cambridge, NFL game in London, and MEXICAN FOOD!

Wow...it has been quite awhile since I have had time to post!  With traveling, working a couple of jobs, and volunteering, life has gotten pretty busy!

At the very end of October, Dustin and I went to London for a long weekend. I actually went a day ahead of him with my friend Megan. We wanted to be sure to get some major shopping in!  It was fun to see the city getting ready for the olympics.  And it was also fun that I could actually read the sign about getting ready...I LOVE ENGLISH!  :)



Another perk of London (besides English), is a fantastic selection of Mexican food.  Of course, Megan and I stopped for lunch at an amazing (and amazingly expensive!) little place...it was HEAVEN ON A PLATE!  And there was even real sour cream!!! 

On my first evening in London, I went to see Billy Elliot.  Although there were a few British jokes I didn't quite understand, it was absolutely fantastic. 

Dustin arrived the next morning and we set out for a day trip to Cambridge University.  It was beautiful.  Dustin and I decided that if we were wearing black robes and carrying broomsticks, we would fee like we were in Harry Potter. 





This is an old dining hall...seriously...is that a portrait of Professor Dumbledore?

On Sunday, it was time to head to Wembley for the Bears vs Bucaneers.  The great thing about seeing an NFL game in London is that fans wear whatever NFL jersey/apparel they happen to own.  We tried to see if all NFL teams were represented.  I was thrilled to see this Manning jersey as we were heading in...
 Before the game, we met up with Simine and Martin (yay Hanover friends!) and John (one of Dustin's coworkers) at the NFL tailgate party.  It wasn't exactly what Americans think of as tailgating, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless!


At the game with Megan...maybe I shouldn't be smiling with a Patriots fan so close?

One of the highlights of the game was this squirrel who ran around the field for several minutes during play.  It even prompted the crowd to start chanting "squirrel, squirrel, squirrel" as it ran toward the endzone.  I also experienced my first streaker at a sporting event...he ran out onto the field and tried to get the players to give him a high five.  Hysterical!

On our last day in London, Dustin and I explored The Royal Courts of Justice.  We saw an actual trial going on...did you know that lawyers and judges still wear traditional robes and white wigs (think George Washington) during trial?  I thought what we were seeing was a historical reenactment.  Apparently, it was not.  Crazy!

We ended our time in London with a trip to one of the oldest pubs in the city.  It had the most amazing fish and chips!

I have decided that I need to figure out a way to move to this fantastic city...

1 comment:

  1. Great pics of London and I didn't know you went to an NFL game. That would be fun to see and to see all the different teams represented. No pictures of the streaker? :)

    ReplyDelete