Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Last Few Days in Paris

April has been a crazy month...filled with "see you laters" and preparation for the next chapter in our lives.  Although our future plans are still a bit up in the air, it seems that Dustin will be transferred to a city in North America starting at the beginning of July.  With baby Smith scheduled to make an appearance around the same time, we felt it was best to move me to Indiana so that I would not get stranded in Paris with a newborn all by myself.  My doctor in Paris said the latest she would let me fly was mid-April.  So, we booked my plane ticket home on April 17th. 

I am staying with my parents, while Dustin is still living it up in Paris.  I told him he should be miserable without me :), but he is in Ireland as I type this, and has several other trips planned before he comes to join me in mid-June. 

I spent my last week in Paris seeing friends, eating my favorite foods, and doing a few last-minute touristy things.  It was an emotional week for me.  Not only was I preparing to say goodbye to my hubby for a few months, but I was also saying goodbye to a city that truly changed me for the better over the last two years.

Yes, I did my fair share of complaining about Paris.  Parisians smell bad, they leave dog poop all over the sidewalks, they rarely smile, and they make everything more difficult than it needs to be.  But living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, where I don't really speak the language, taught me so much about myself.  I learned to look at the world in a new way.  I even learned to like Parisians (they really aren't so bad!) and their way of doing things.  Dustin and I became so much closer, as many of the things we were going through could only be understood by each other.  During our time in Paris, we traveled all over Europe.  We met people from every corner of the globe.  And we learned we would be adding a new member to our family. 

Yes, the last two years have been a special time.  I will always look back on these years as some of the best in my life.  I'm so glad we took the plunge and moved our lives across the Atlantic.  I wish everyone could have a similar experience. 

With all of those thoughts swirling in my head, I tried to really live it up my last week (well, as much as a pregnant lady can!). 

Waiting at a bus stop on one of my last days.  I will miss this view!

 I have taken this picture a gazillion times, but I just couldn't resist.


I'm not sure how I am going to survive without Ladurée macarons...

On our last Friday night together in Paris, Dustin and I went to the top of the Montparnasse Tower.  The view was absolutely stunning!  After the tower, we ate dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant. 




We stayed up until 1:00 am to see the "special" sparkling of the Eiffel Tower.  The gold lights go off, and all that you see are the white sparkling lights.  I've only stayed awake to see it a couple of times!


On our last Saturday, we went up to Montmartre to pick out some artwork.  We bought three small paintings of monuments in Paris.

On my last Sunday, we went to lunch after church with Megan and then stopped for pastries!

 My last bump picture in front of the Eiffel Tower - at 28 weeks.


On my very last night, Dustin and I took a walk around our neighborhood (while I fought off tears).  I stopped at my favorite crepe place for a Nutella crepe.  





Gosh, I miss this guy.  :(

When the morning of April 17th arrived, I said goodbye to our cute little apartment and Dustin and I grabbed a cab to the airport.  Although we knew we were making the right decision by sending me home, it was a tough morning.  I cried through the cab ride (while simultaneously holding on for dear life).  And then I cried even harder waving at Dustin as I passed through to the secure side of the airport. 

But I know that it's not goodbye forever - not to Dustin and not to Paris.  I'll be back.  And when I do get the chance to go back, I can't wait to stroll the streets of my old neighborhood, grab a coffee in a café, and just watch the city in action. 


5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy and savor your last few days in Paris. While the situation was sometimes tough, you handled it with grace and you and Dustin made memories for a lifetime. Give me a call if you need anything. Long distance relationships aren't fun for anyone, but if you two can survive Paris together then you can survive anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great post!!! Definitely felt like I was right there with you for all of it. And is it wrong for me to hope Dustin decides to stay in Paris and you come back in September? :) Otherwise, you know where I'm living the next few years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! Sounds like you made the best of your years in Paris and it turned out to be great. Mark's work keeps trying to get him to go to Finland for a year, and while I think it would be a great experience, I keep dragging my heels. Your post really makes me think about what a good opportunity it COULD be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent my whole plane ride back from Paris in tears too our junior year after not getting to say goodbye to Nathan and knowing I wouldn't see him until fall, so I completely sympathize! I hope it goes fast for you both. You'll always have such a warm view of those years in another country together though. You're right about the bonding experience of it just being the two of you making the most of your adventure. It's one of my warmest memories of starting out together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello
    i just discovered your website and i have to say it is pretty inspired.
    If your interested in French- American culture and especially art, and great adresses in PARIS- FRANCE , here an awesome website that i think you would love :http://www.frenchcultureguide.com/
    enjoy !

    ReplyDelete