Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beaucoup de Chocolat

Last week, I had the delicious opportunity to go on a chocolate walk in Paris with a friend.  We learned all about the history of chocolate, how it arrived in Europe, and how it became popular in Paris.  Although all that was quite interesting, let's be honest - I was most interested in tasting the chocolate.  Our guide (from Indiana!) took us to four different shops where she had already pre-ordered a few things to taste. 

The first place we went was a boulangerie and patisserie called Gosselin.  It supplies pastries and bread to the Elysée Palace.  That is like being named the official baker of the White House.  Needless to say, it was DELISH.





Can you spot the pastry that is modeled after a Big Mac? 


First, we tasted an opera pastry.  It had a bit of baker's gold on it!


Next, we tried a chocolate and mint eclaire.


After that, it was time to move on to the second shop. 


 All of the chocolates were perfectly lined up.


This was an almond and pistachio chocolate. 


Dark chocolate with mixed nuts. 


Next, we went to a place called Michel Cluizel.  It had the biggest selection out of all the shops we visited.



 These are chocolates made to look like mushrooms!


A huge chocolate fountain. 


Chocolate covered candied orange = gross 








Finally, we visited the Salon de Thé et Chocolat.  It was pretty amazing (and also pretty expensive).



A chocolate shoe!  Unfortunately, I did not get to try it. 





Overall, it was a scrumptious morning of tasting and learning in Paris.  You can't really go wrong with anything that involves beaucoup de chocolat!


8 comments:

  1. I think I just gained 5 pounds after reading this post. I really want to try the chocolate and mint eclair and the chocolate with almond and pistachio...they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Totally agree with Abby! We should plan a girls' trip out to see you and go on a chocolte crawl...instead of a bar crawl. I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, yum! That eclair looks amazing! You are a lucky gal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! First, the eclair! Like Thin Mints, but in pastry form! Second, I can't believe you didn't like the chocolate-covered candied orange! I LOVE THEM! Third, I miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I'm totally salivating over here over that delicious looking chocolate! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Jody! Beth and I read your blog often...keep it coming!! We're enjoying it and learning alot. Fred and Beth.

    ReplyDelete