Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Mind the Gap, But Don't Watch Your Step

While out for a run along the Seine today, I was thinking about what I was going to title this entry.  Dustin and I just returned from an amazing trip to London, so I knew this would be a post dedicated to our trip.  As I dodged pile after pile of dog poop, it occurred to me that London and Paris have something in common - you need to watch where you're going.  In London, you need to "mind the gap" in the underground in order to make it safely from the train to the platform, or vice versa.  In Paris, you need to be quite diligent in watching the sidewalk WHEREVER you are....or you will become yet another person to skid in dog poop.  This line of thinking gave birth to the title of my post.  In the land of tea and crumpets, I did not have to watch my step!  For this reason, and many others (see list below), I felt a sense of freedom in London.  

1.  As you already know, NO POOP!

2.  The girls are of a normal size.

3.  ENGLISH.  ENGLISH.  ENGLISH.

4.  No Anxiety - because I could express my needs and wants to others if necessary.

5.  It's possible to have random conversations with strangers, just because you feel like it.

6.  Fish and Chips (and I could ask for it all by myself!)

7.  I was served ICE WATER!!!  Do you know how long it had been since I had seen an ice cube?!

8.  Cheddar Cheese....enough said.

9.  People say things like, "You're a star!", "What a darling!", and other phrases that sound wonderful in the British accent. 

10.  Did I mention, NO POOP!!!


Some picture highlights from the trip...



 A yummy English breakfast to start the day!


 The bookstore from the movie Nottinghill.


Madonna owns this house. 




 Portobello Market!






The market was nice, but a bit too busy for me!





Dustin and I on a boat on the Thames. 





View from the boat.




Tower Bridge!




Dustin listening to his audio guide (in the rain) at the Tower of London.





More Tower of London...



Wembley Stadium




49ers and Broncos in London!



The singing of the National Anthem made me tear up a bit...




A British cheerleading squad (please note that these boys are wearing tights).




Beautiful Covent Garden decorated for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I so love London, for all the reasons you mention, though I didn't have the enjoyment of the poo in Paris so much.

    Madonna's house! Yeah! Tower of London! Yeah!

    Love reading your blog... Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip, Jody! I wish we would have gotten to see London. I am glad you are having so much fun. Keep the pictures coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics and the title!! I admit I am a little horrified that there is dog poop on the streets of Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just stumbled across your blog...we went to London when we were in Paris is Sept and the difference between the cities was like night and day...I love London for all the hussle and bussle but we were glad to get back to Paris for the quiet

    but I agree it was great to hear English everywhere....so relaxing

    ReplyDelete