Thursday, August 11, 2011

My 30th Birthday

It's here.  The dreaded 3-0.  I really wasn't looking forward to this birthday.  It just sounds old.  I know those of you who are much older and wiser than me think I am being silly, but don't you agree that 30 sounds so much older than 29?  But now that I have reached this landmark, I can say that I really don't feel old.  And I really don't feel older than I did a month ago.  So I've decided to embrace my thirty-ness.  And what better place to enter into this next stage of my life than Paris!

My actual day of birth was all about eating.  I think everyone's birthday should start with a pain aux amandes (a croissant type pastry, filled with almonds and chocolate).  Don't worry, it is not high in calories. 


For dinner we went to Les Cocottes, a darling restaurant in our neighborhood.  The chef, Christian Constant, serves every dish in a "cocotte", which is a type of French cookware that can go straight from the oven to the table. 

A glimpse inside the window of Les Cocottes.

My salad - poached egg and bacon.  

Main course:  veal with potatoes

Dessert - Chocolate Tarte

Both of our meals were utterly fantastic.  We pretty much had to roll home from dinner. :)

On Sunday (I always like to celebrate my birthday for two days...ha!), we celebrated with a day of walking.  We figured this was necessary after our day of eating!  We wandered all over Paris and then ended up at Paris Plages, or Paris Beaches.  Every August, the city brings in TONS of sand, palm trees, and beach chairs, and they attemp to create a beach along the Seine.  It was a little weird to see people sunbathing along the river...





Disneyland Paris sculpted some pretty amazing sandcastles!





There was even beach volleyball!

So all in all, my 30th b-day was pretty amazing.  I'm looking forward to what my 30s have in store for me!

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I am so happy we could "precelebrate" it with you. I felt the exact same way...not older, but I still wasn't excited about it. Again, way jealous of the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you and Dustin! I think 30 sounds so much older than 29. It is a new decade after all. I actually forgot I was 30 the other day and had a moment of bliss thinking I was still 29. Until I did the math and remembered I am actually 30 and that made me sad. But it is what it is and we might as well enjoy 30!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodes - I love the picture of you and Dustin as well!! The pictures are amazing, and the food looks alright too :) Whenever I think 30 sounds old, I remember what Brook Steede told me...30 is old enough to be taken seriously but young enough to still know how to have a good time :) Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete