Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Getting Settled In!

Dustin and I have filled our last few weeks with getting settled in and pretending to be tourists in Paris. A few pictures from our new city:










inside Saint Chapelle



Our things from the US finally arrived last Monday. It was my first day of French classes, so Dustin had to take care of the move all by himself. Based on these pictures, I am pretty glad that I wasn’t there…
This is the ladder/elevator that was used to get our things to the 7th floor.

Raising up the ladder...



Here comes our stuff!





Now that we are all settled in, here are a few pictures of the apartment:





Other updates: My work permit did not arrive in time for me to take the afternoon teaching position that I was offered. I was pretty disappointed. However, the school runs an afternoon English program on Wednesdays for non-anglophone students. The program doesn’t start until the end of September. I am meeting with someone on Friday about taking a position in that program. I will keep you posted!


French classes are going pretty well, although I’m not sure how some of the people in my class can be considered “complete beginners”. My teacher, Veronique, is wonderful. She explains everything over and over until we get it. There is absolutely no English spoken, so sometimes it takes me awhile to understand what is going on. There are people from all over the world in my class: Iran, Iceland, Argentina, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and probably a few places I am forgetting. It is pretty amazing. The problem is that I can’t communicate with them. Really, the only language we all have in common is French (unless they know a bit of English). I’m dying to ask them all about life in their respective countries, but I don’t have the vocabulary to do so (nor do they have the vocabulary to respond).

We just celebrated Dustin’s 30th birthday yesterday. I made enchiladas (I have been craving good Mexican food) and we watched the Eiffel Tower sparkle from our balcony. Believe it or not, I did find most of the ingredients I normally use for the enchiladas. The supermarkets here sell the Old El Paso brand – it totally cracks me up! The only major thing I had to substitute for was sour cream. They definitely don’t sell it here.

Overall, it feels good to be settling in. I’m looking forward to getting into a bit of a routine and doing some more travelling. Next on our list: Versailles!


15 comments:

  1. Jodes--Greek Yogurt works really well as a sour cream substitute! (Non-flavored). Love the apartment! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodes! Your apartment is totally gorge!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN PERSON!!! Love you! P.S. So glad you brought the picture frame of our old pictures to your new home!! I saw it on your dresser :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jody and Dustin!

    Your apartment looks great and is looking like you really live there now! What a memorable experience! Enjoy Versailles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the pics! Love seeing what you're up to. Nice place, Jody =) Hope you are feeling a bit more settled in. loves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So when i visit am i going to fit on your couch??? The place looks great and im very happy for you both to be getting along so well. Good luck every day and ill try to keep in better touch.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apartment looks great, Jodi!! Enjoy every moment! I am envious of your travels:)
    P.S. I got the check...pretty cool! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you got your stuff! That is crazy that they used a ladder truck to get it to your apartment, but its probably easier than walking the boxes up to the 7th floor. Can't wait until you can teach us French!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jody and Dustin..this is Tish Mehaffie. I enjoyed your "settling in" blog..I am so envious of you being there! I can't believe they have Old El Paso, we like that too and I have trouble finding it in CA! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old El Paso is a General Mills brand! We thank you for supporting us from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for keeping us posted on the move and getting settled in - - - the place looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jody your all's apartment looks AMAZING you guys have already made it look like our own and homey. I am just so proud of you for taking this leap...I can't wait to see you around Christmas and hear your stories!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad all is well. Loved your apt. Don't know about that ladder. Hope you had insurance just in case.....Happy Birthday to Dustin. I do remember Versailles esp. Hall of Mirrors. Good luck with your French.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking at your pictures again--the ladder reminds me of the game, Chutes and Ladders--it was not one of my favorites, but that is what comes to mind when I see your moving- in pictures. Jody, I think I may be unavailable, too, when it came time to move out! Good unplanned move on your part when you were gone as delivery was made. I guess this must make you feel you can handle about anything now, right? Happy belated birthday to Dustin!

    Have fun! (We are having Old El Paso tacos tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jody - your apt looks great! Everything already has it's place...I'm so impressed! Ditto Liz, I'm super jealous of your travels :) Glad you enjoyed those enchiladas...Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey girl! Will you email me your current email address? I think I only have your school one =) Thanks! Mine is ginelias@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete