Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lessons Learned

I’m learning that…


1. I took many, many things for granted in the United States.

2. I take great pride in where I come from.

3. Little things, like successfully sending a letter at the post office, are cause for celebration.

4. French pastries are not low fat treats. Dang it!

5. People don’t smile at strangers. 

6. It is so important to try to help others, even if they speak a different language than you!

7. Nothing is easy.

8. Everything is complicated.

9. Shopping for groceries happens every single day.

10. Personal space…well…there is none.

11. Even though the French have a reputation for being rude, most are willing to go above and beyond to help you.  And I need help A LOT.  MERCI BEAUCOUP!

12.  I LOVE when I am on the metro, bus, street, or in a restaurant and I hear others speaking English.  I'm not trying to be rude and eavesdrop, but it certainly is exciting to understand a conversation!

13.  I miss my family and friends more than I could have imagined possible...

10 comments:

  1. I miss you too Madame Smith!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great lessons, Jody! Some we need to remember. We miss you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you too! The not smiling at strangers would be hard for me to get used to. You have accomplished so much and keep on celebrating the little victories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't wait until your posts read: "i never want to go back to the states! don't make me!!"
    reading your blogs make me appreciate home a little more, but it also makes me happy to hear how well you are doing, and all your "little" accomplishments. it will be fun to hear you talk when you are fluent, which may seem really far away, but knowing you, it will be in no time!! love you, miss you!!
    -danielle bruin-slot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog Jody! I've learned so much just moving to the country and northern Indiana...I can't even imagine another country! Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you too Jodes - I love living vicariously through you :) Yay for small victories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never, ever smile at a stranger in France. It's forbidden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jody...

    I just found your blog from Keith's blog-- A Taste of Garlic. I could really relate to this post when I first got to France (already more than 4 years ago- I can't believe it)... I live outside of Paris but if you have any questions, need any help with anything... or ever want to meet up with me and my nice friends (mostly American- who live in Paris) let me know...
    Take care and have a great weekend... Leesa

    ReplyDelete