Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust...

Yes, that's right.  I have conquered another Parisian fear.  The dreaded coiffeuse (hairdresser).  It is always a little scary to be in a position where you have to find someone new to cut your hair.  Is this person going to send me out the door looking like a new and improved version of me?  Or will I leave wanting to go through the next few months with a paper bag on my head?  The mental image of the latter has had me avoiding Parisian salons since my arrival in July.

But today, I woke up and was just plain annoyed by my hair.  I was tired of the pony tail that was becoming my go-to look.  I was tired of spending forever each morning on drying, straightening, curling, etc...only to have my hair return to its flat, lifeless look the second I stepped out of the door.  I was determined that I would fix the situation, and I would fix it TODAY!

And then reality hit me.  How am I supposed to explain the way I want my hair cut?  What if they ask me a whole bunch of questions?  I heard you have to tip the person who shampoos you and the person who cuts your hair...how much am I supposed to give them?  Do I need an appointment, or can I just walk in?  AHHHHHHHH!!  My questions and subsequent anxiety began to get the best of me. 

So I did what I always do when I am anxious.  I GOOGLE.  Google can solve all problems, right?  I started with googling:  shoulder length hair styles.  I emerged from that search with a picture of a cute cut that I could take with me to the salon.  Next:  tipping in French hair salons.  From that search, I learned that a 5-10 euro tip was appropriate for the person cutting my hair, and a couple euros would be plenty for the shampoo girl.  Finally, I googled:  French phrases for the salon.  Believe it or not, I found a very helpful page with a lot of advice for getting what you want in a French salon. 

Now I was armed and ready.  All I needed was the actual salon.  There are 5 or 6 in my neighborhood that I walk by daily, so I decided those were a good place to start.  The salons all post their prices on the windows, so I meandered by each of them as nonchalantly as possible to check them out.  I did not want to draw attention to myself.

I spent 20 minutes going up and down my street, passing the salons each time.  For the life of me, I could not get up the nerve to go inside.  The salons were all so...um....glitzy.  Shiny.  Glam.  And yes, that sounds exciting, but it is also quite intimidating.  I couldn't bring myself to just open up the door and blurt out my memorized phrases. 

That's when I decided I needed a different type of salon.  One with more of a "Steel Magnolias" feel.  You know?  One where I could develop a personal relationship with the person who cuts my hair.  One where they would remember my name and look happy that I had come back.  Was a place like this possible in Paris?

At that moment, I noticed a small hair salon down a side street.  I was going to just casually walk buy and try to get a glimpse.  As I passed the store, I could tell it was much more my style.  It was nice, but didn't have the intimidation factor of the chain salons on the main drag.  Before I even knew what was happening, I realized I had walked straight to the door and was beginning to open it.  No turning back now!

As soon as I entered the salon, I was greeted very quickly with, "Bonjour Madame!" and then someone took my coat.  I explained to the girl who greeted me (IN FRENCH!!) that I wanted a cut like the one in the picture I brought.  And she UNDERSTOOD me!  She took me right back and started shampooing me.  There were a few questions I didn't understand, so she switched to English (YES YES YES!). 

When she finished, she introduced me to Isabelle, who was going to cut my hair.  Isabelle was WONDERFUL!  We spoke a mixture of French and English...probably more English than French (even though she told me her English wasn't good...not true).  She gave me a great cut and I even remembered to tip both gals.  I have an appointment to go back to see her in 2 months!  VICTORY IS MINE!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Jody, it's super cute! I can't even get a cut I like these days when both my stylist and I are fluent in English...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute hair, Jodes! By the way, I'm sorry I was such a flake over the holidays. It was not a good time for me. Blah. But anyway, I just got caught up on your last few posts. Sounds like everything is going fantastically for you! Miss you lots, let's talk soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Jody!!! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog Jody! I can't even imagine doing all this in a new country- it's so intimidating in a new town IN Indiana!!! I've found hairstylists- good ones- are gateways to TONS of information! I found my doctor and dentist through my hairstylist! AND I love the hair!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks so good! Isn't it amazing how much better you feel after a good haircut? I am so glad you found your "Steel Magnolias" salon and I love hearing about your Parisian adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic Jody!! I need to get up the nerve to get a stinkin hairstylist here! I miss you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're putting me to shame! I still "refuse" to have my hair cut here, instead sporting the pony tail look between my infrequent visits to either Boston or Cincinnati. But, I think I'll have to "break down" this year, so keep those websites bookmarked!

    The new cut looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look awesome! Well done, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello! a little late to post this question, but is there anyone you can let me know your steel magnolia's hair salon? I've been living in Paris for a year now, and still haven't found the courage to find a salon!! hehe pathetic, but I'm not a big fan of the jean louis david type salons!

    Thanks!!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops, i meant "anyway" not "anyone" :)

    ReplyDelete