Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Few Hours in Egypt

Dustin and I had been planning a trip to Egypt this February.  In light of recent events, we decided it would be best not to go.  Instead, we spent a few hours perusing the Ancient Egypt wing of the Louvre.  We figured a little Egypt was better than no Egypt at all!  I have always been fascinated by ancient Egypt, so this collection of amazing artwork did not disappoint!  My pictures are not necessarily of famous pieces, just some of my favorites!

This sphinx greets you at the top of a set of stairs as you enter the ancient Egypt wing.  It is circa 2600 BC!








 The cat was a sacred and respected animal in ancient Egypt.  Cats were treated like gods...and if you killed one (even accidentally) you were sentenced to death.











One of the better known pieces of art in the Egyptian wing.
Horus - dates somewhere between 1069-664 BC





 The feet I am next to were originally part of a colossus of a king - the statue was about 8 meters tall!







These are cat mummies...seriously.  Gross.



The Louvre is stunning at night!











We ended our evening at a cute bistro just a few blocks from our apartment (not Egyptian, but quite good!).



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to postpone the trip to Egypt. Hopefully, things will calm down and people will be happy with the newly constructed government; then you can go and enjoy the pyramids and all that! :) Until then, though, Egyptian Louvre will more than suffice! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!! I love Egyptian artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice, Jody! I think it was a good idea too to keep you two safe. I bet it will be amazing when you get to go, but what's a better runner-up than touring Egypt through Paris?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat mummies = creepy. And good call on not taking a trip to Egypt. And the Louvre looks amazing at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody - I am so sad that you guys won't be able to go to Egypt this year. I actually have a few other friends that were wanting to go this year, too. :( The Louvre was a pretty good alternative, and hopefully you and Dustin will make it to Egypt someday. It was my favorite trip last year, and I'm quite thankful now that I went when I did.

    ReplyDelete