Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cooking with Sabine

Last weekend, Dustin and I spent Saturday evening cooking with Sabine (Dustin's boss).  She has been so helpful and kind to us as we have made the transition to French life.  When she found out that I wanted to learn more about French cooking (especially shopping for the food at all of the little shops), she invited us over for a lesson!

We arrived at her apartment around 5:00 and spent the next hour and a half shopping for the ingredients we would need to make a traditional French meal.  We started at the butcher.  I was really nervous because Sabine told me that I was going to do all of the talking.  She coached me on what to say and how to say it.  As we waited in line, I repeated the phrase over and over in my head...Je voudrais un kilo et demi de veau pour faire de la blanquette.  I was asking for a kilo and a half of veal to make a veal stew.  If you tell the butcher what you are making, then he will prepare the meat for the exact dish. 

So, I got up to the counter and Sabine let the butcher know that I was learning French and was going to practice on him.  He seemed to really get a kick out of the whole experience and even tried to practice some English on me.  I said my line and got the meat without a problem!  He even threw in a free gift (un cadeau) of a saucisson for my efforts.  A saucisson is a type of dried sausage that you slice and often eat with bread and butter.

Before we left the butcher, Sabine took the time to explain all the different types of meat in the case and what you could cook with them.  The butcher is definitely less intimidating than I thought - especially once someone has explained it to you!

Next, we were off to the wine shop.  Again, I had to do the talking.  I said...Bonjour Monsieur!  Je voudrais un vin pour faire de la blanquette et pour boire.  I wanted a wine for making veal stew, but that would also be good for drinking.  The man working at the shop was very knowledgeable and knew exactly what kind of wine would be best.  We bought the wine and off we went!

Our next stop was to a produce stand.  We bought onions (oignons), a leek (poireau), garlic (l'ail), carrots (carottes), mushrooms (champignons), lemons (citrons), and apples (pommes).

From there we went to the supermarket for a pastry shell, crème fraîche, and eggs (oeufs)While at the supermarket, Sabine explained the difference in the types of creams, milks, and other products.  It was extremely helpful!

We exited the supermarket and went to the fromagerie to buy a couple of cheeses for the evening.  Our final stop was at the boulangerie for a baguette.  Now it was time to head back to her apartment for cooking!

We started by chopping all of the vegetables for the stew.  Dustin got the fun job of cutting up the onions.  He cried the entire time.  :)













Next, we prepared dessert - an apple tart.











Once everything was cooking, it was time to enjoy our frommage and saucisson.









We served the stew over rice.





The finished product!  DELICIOUS!

Thanks to Sabine for all of her help and the wonderful evening of cooking!  I am definitely feeling much more confident about going to the butcher and all of the specialty shops.  We decided that another lesson is in order for the future...maybe rabbit?  

4 comments:

  1. Jody, it looks so good, and I am so proud of you! You are experiencing so much, and it's so much fun to read about all of it:) It's amazing how the French and others shop each and every day for what they need for their meals...quite different. Love the blog and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After this post, I am never taking Meijer or Super Target for granted again! Having everything you need in separate shops is so different from how we do our shopping in the States. It seems like more of a process than just going to a big box store, but I think you would enjoy it more because (1) you had to go to several shops to get it and (2) the conversations you would have with everyone along the way (i.e. the butcher, wine guy, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That makes me so hungry! Looks delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Sarah - hungry! Your meal looks fantastic! And I enjoyed learning a little French along the way :) If you have the time, this definitely seems like a more enjoyable way to do your grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete